Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Bug Whisperer

On Friendship and Persistence

Dylan and Sadie were digging around in the dirt the other day, when Dylan came across some busy little ants. He had this to say about them:

DYLAN: Mom ants are mean.

ME: Why do you say that?

D: Because they sting you and it hurts.

ME: (Trying to be the definitive, cool, scientific fact Mom) Yes, I guess ants will do that. But it's only because they are so small and they think you are a giant. They think they a have to protect themselves so you won't hurt them.

D: But I'm not a giant. Mommy tell the ants that I'm not a giant!

ME: Well, I don't think they can really hear me say that. Ants don't have ears, you know. If you don't want to get stung, why don't you just dig in a different spot?

D: (slightly disappointed) Ooooh.

This is what I heard a few minutes later:

(a few octaves higher than normal) Hey little dudes. Heeeyyy, little dudes. Hey. I am NOT a giant. I want to be your friend. Do you want to be my friend? See I am not a mean giant. I am a nice little boy. Do you want to play with me?

(a few moments later) Ooooowww! Mommy, those ants stinged me. They are mean! Hey, ants! I don't like it when you do that!

(more than slightly disappointed) I guess they think I am a giant. Or maybe they don't have ears.

Hey look! A little beetle. Beetles won't sting you! Do beetles have ears?

Hey, little dude. I am not a giant. Do you want to be my friend?

1 comment:

katie said...

OMG ROTFLMAO! Too cuuuuute!!!